Railwayclub.info main
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20.08.18 , 18:08

Login with username, password and session length
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | References | Blogs | Contact Information

railwayclub.info: train travel answers, travel deals

discussion

Trip itinearies and train timetables

From the trans Croatian railway to the Adriatic Sea midway - how?

Pages: [1] 2
Reply | Print
Author Topic: From the trans Croatian railway to the Adriatic Sea midway - how?  (Read 1929 times)
Andersen
Active user

View Profile
« on: 06.07.17 , 10:07 »
Share Reply with quote

I am turning to you for help.

My aim: to try the trans Croatian railway as it ascents from 100 meter above sea level in Zagreb to almost 900 meters west of the Plitvice National Park (and continues south towards Split).

Problem: To find transportation to get from the inland railway to the coast of the Adriatic Sea midway to reach Senj.

The train IC 521 Zagreb (dep. 7:35) - Split makes calls in the relevant area at the stations Vrhovine, Licko Lesce, Perusic and Gospic around 10-11 o'clock. None of these places are on the main north-south highway and there aren't many buses traveling that highway anyway.

One option could be to exit the train at Vrhovine and catch an westbound bus traveling on the roads 52, 50 and 23 to the coast from the Plitvice National Park to Senj, but I havn't found any such bus. Other travelers even write that there are no such buses.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Johannes
« Last Edit: 06.07.17 , 11:07 by Andersen » Logged
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06.07.17 , 10:07 »
Share Reply with quote

Oh, I known this problem and don't know the answer.
I thought about it few times starting from my first visit to Croatia in 2007 and never managed to find the solution.

It the past btw daytime IC (in those time it was ICN btw) hadn't stopped at Vrhovine at all, so the only long distance train stopping in Vrhovine was the overnight train, which passed here in the middle of the night.
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06.07.17 , 10:07 »
Share Reply with quote

People who managed to arrange the visit to Plitvice National park on the way from Zagreb to coast - did it solely by buses
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06.07.17 , 10:07 »
Share Reply with quote

btw about attempts to find the way by public transport from Vrhovine to Plitvice National Park we've tried to discuss twice on this forum.
Once it was with some extra findings, but no luck in final result
http://forum.railwayclub.info/index.php?topic=123158.msg461448#msg461448
Andersen
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06.07.17 , 12:07 »
Share Reply with quote

Oj, sorry I didn't find that theme. Maybe they two should be combined?
I understand you point about bus from Zagreb, but it would seem strange that there aren't any minibus services taking holiday makers from the coast to the Plitvice Lakes National Park?? A minibus I would like to use on the Vrhovine - Senj (coast) leg.
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06.07.17 , 12:07 »
Share Reply with quote

I don't understand you.

There are buses from Split to Plitvice and Zadar to Plitvice

BTW I never seen mini-buses on regular services on Croatia at all.

Even the very local service with very extremely rare operation (like 3-5 departures per day and no other buses on this leg) - everywhere in Croatia I've seen it - it was serviced by big 12 meter coaches.

I understand you point about bus from Zagreb,
well, you may take in Karlovac if you want.
« Last Edit: 06.07.17 , 14:07 by Maxy » Logged
Andersen
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06.07.17 , 13:07 »
Share Reply with quote

Sorry if I was unclear. The buses you are referring to goes north - south from the National Park (dark blue ring) on main road 1, calling at places like Korenice and Udbina (when traveling southbound, light blue marking).

What I need is east-west transport from any of the red marked places (which is where in the Zagreb - Split express train calls in the area) to Senj on the coast.
Either on any of the red routes or alternatively along the orange route, via Karlobag.

I have googled my way to taxi services at 100 Euros for the 58 km distance from Vrhovine to Senj but that's quite a lot to pay extra to get a ride on the mountainous IC train, tickets to which also cost money (we are four travelers but only one vallet).

My assumption is that there are other travelers that would like to go from the ~ 100 km Rejika - Senj - Karlobag costal resort area to visit the national park, making a case for east - west bound bus services in that "midway" section of Croatia - without having to making long north-south detours via Karlovac, Zadar etc.

Taking the bus from Karlovac doesn't help in our case, not many mountains on the train between Zagreb and Karlovac, then we might as well take buses all the way from Zagreb to Senj.

« Last Edit: 06.07.17 , 13:07 by Andersen » Logged
Ulf
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06.07.17 , 14:07 »
Share Reply with quote

My aim: to try the trans Croatian railway as it ascents from 100 meter above sea level in Zagreb to almost 900 meters west of the Plitvice National Park (and continues south towards Split).

Problem: To find transportation to get from the inland railway to the coast of the Adriatic Sea midway to reach Senj.

The train IC 521 Zagreb (dep. 7:35) - Split makes calls in the relevant area at the stations Vrhovine, Licko Lesce, Perusic and Gospic around 10-11 o'clock. None of these places are on the main north-south highway and there aren't many buses traveling that highway anyway.

One option could be to exit the train at Vrhovine and catch an westbound bus traveling on the roads 52, 50 and 23 to the coast from the Plitvice National Park to Senj, but I havn't found any such bus. Other travelers even write that there are no such buses.

The good point is that https://www.autotrans.hr/hr-hr/naslovna finds buses from Gospic.
The bad point it that they leave at 6h25 and 20h00 (tomorrow).

Regards, ULF
« Last Edit: 06.07.17 , 18:07 by Ulf » Logged
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06.07.17 , 17:07 »
Share Reply with quote

I have googled my way to taxi services at 100 Euros for the 58 km distance from Vrhovine to Senj
but who need it?
In fact till recent time there were no train from Zagreb to Vrhovine with adequate arrival time

The whole Lika-Senj županija - is the part of Croatia with lowest density of population.

but that's quite a lot to pay extra to get a ride on the mountainous IC train, tickets to which also cost money (we are four travelers but only one vallet).
Well, it's your personal whim to combine travel on IC going up via Dinaric Alps when going to Senj.

Ordinary tourists simply go from Zagreb to Senj by bus
Maxy
Главный
Active user

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06.07.17 , 18:07 »
Share Reply with quote

UPD - by 100 EUR is too high price for 58 km in Croatia though. But the indirect evidence of rip-off is price in EUR (if it really was told you in EUR), but not in HRK.
According to how I know - honest price of taxi for such distance should be 500-600 HRK (~70-80 EUR).
Tags: bus connection Plitvice National Park mountains railway zagreb croatia 
Pages: [1] 2
Reply | Print
Jump to: